In India, the vast middle class and almost untapped retail industry are the key forces of attraction for global retail giants waiting to enter new markets. This attraction has stimulated the growth of the retail industry and is growing at a faster rate.
The construction industry, which accounts for approximately 11% of the GDP, has an estimated investment of US $500 billion, and is growing at around 34 % annually. The Indian retail industry is the fifth largest in the world, and contributes about 22% of the GDP and generates 8% of employment in the country today. It is expected to grow 25 per cent annually, to be worth US$ 175- 200 billion by 2020.
The key factor driving the demand for Interior Design is the growth & expansion of housing & commercial development in both the major and smaller cities in India. Rising income levels are leading to a demand for creative individuals to support the vision of the Incredible India Campaign. Thus there is an increase in demand for Interior space visualisers and designers to plan & create attractive, practical & desirable spaces for living, display and commercial activity.
- Interior design is a multi-faceted profession wherein creative and technical solutions are applied within a structure to achieve a built interior environment.
- Interior decoration and designing in India are getting popular with a lot of people opting for the services of trained interior designers for their houses / offices, etc.
- Reason can also be attributed to the changing definitions of homes and modern residential houses, which now symbolize more with the personalities of their owners.
- Interior design is also gaining popularity among workplaces and is being considered as a science helping to reduce stress and fatigue thereby increasing productivity.
- The services provided by interior decorators and designer cover a wide range of areas and include Interior decoration services, furniture and furnishings, facilities design, mechanical designing, residential interior architecture, etc.
- Keeping in mind the demand & separate need from architecture courses, various Institutions like University of Pune and Anna University (Chennai) have announced specialized courses in Interior design as B.Arch (Interior design)